Bradley Memorial Hospital Celebrates Doctors and History
Southington [July 12 2006] -
Bradley Memorial Hospital honored nine of its most illustrious doctors and celebrated some highlights of Bradley’s history at a special event in late June.
More than 100 friends, family members, hospital employees and community members attended the ceremony to unveil “The Doctors’ Hall of Fame” and to hear the reminiscences of four of the hospital’s original nurses.
The Doctors’ Hall of Fame unveiling was the culmination of more than two years of work on the part of Dr. Ira Spar, Bradley’s chief of surgery.
Dr. Spar had long felt that there should be tangible recognition of Bradley’s physicians, beginning with these nine, only one of whom is still alive. These nine doctors were among the Hospital’s original medical staff. Only Dr. Ambrosi is still with us today. The nine doctors in the Bradley Memorial Hall of Fame are: Ambrose Alfonsi, M.D.; Anthony J. D’Angelo, M.D.; Eugene D’Angelo, M.D.; George M. Connor, M.D.; Thomas W. Dudac, M.D.; George M. Gura, M.D.; James J. Mertz, M.D.; Harold Prescott Stetson, M.D.; and Reuben E. Thalberg, M.D.
The program also included historical perspectives with nurses Leatrice Kanute, Ruth Johnson, and Eileen Wood. Another of the original Bradley nurses, Julia DeMayo, was heard on a recording.
Bradley Memorial Hospital opened its doors in 1938 and saw its first patients in October 1940. One of its first three nurses was Julia DeMayo, now 93, who witnessed the hospital’s growth from one small emergency room to the facility it is today.
Contact: Corporate Communications, 860-224-5900 x6507
HCC Corporate Communications
(860) 224-5695 •
Fax (860) 224-5779