Joslin Diabetes Center Affiliate offers diabetes management classes
New Britain [November 03 2008] -
The Joslin Diabetes Center Affiliate at The Hospital of Central Connecticut offers ongoing patient education programs to help people with diabetes manage their condition.
For over a decade, the center has offered a variety of classes for patients, including those who are newly diagnosed, need a refresher class, or have gestational diabetes. In April, the Joslin Diabetes Center Affiliate at HCC was awarded continued education recognition of its diabetes self-management program by the American Diabetes Association.
“Education plays a major role in making lifestyle changes that will help with better control of diabetes,” says endocrinologist Latha Dulipsingh, M.D., director of the hospital’s Joslin Diabetes Center Affiliate and the Endocrinology and Bone Health Center.
Classes are conducted at the New Britain General campus by a registered nutritionist and/or registered nurses, all certified diabetes educators. Costs are typically covered by insurance. The Joslin Center also offers patient consults with an endocrinologist. For more information, or to register for classes, listed below, please call (860) 224-5900 x4372.
• Know Diabetes/Know Yourself. Covers all aspects of diabetes management. Day, afternoon, evening sessions available; evening sessions also at the Bradley Memorial campus, Southington.
• Diabetes Update. Provides a diabetes update, reviews blood glucose numbers and assists in patient goal setting. Offered monthly, 1.5 hours.
• Prediabetes Education Program. Covers how to prevent or delay Type-2 diabetes. Held the third Wednesday of each month, 4-5 p.m.
• Nutrition Update. Covers nutrition basics and the impact of food on blood sugar control. Offered monthly.
• Carbohydrate Counting. Teaches how to count carbs and determine insulin dose to maintain target blood glucose levels. Offered monthly.
• Free Diabetes Support Group. Helps patients manage diabetes and deal with daily challenges of diabetes. Monthly, day and evenings sessions available.
• Insulin Pumping: Is It For You? Answers questions about the basics of insulin pumps and compares available pumps. One-hour class meets bimonthly.
• Foundation of Pump Therapy. Teaches how to manage and troubleshoot diabetes once insulin pump received. Held monthly.
• Gestational Diabetes and Postpartum Program. Provides information that helps a woman maintain normal blood glucose levels during pregnancy and helps lower her risks for developing Type-2 diabetes after pregnancy. Offered monthly.
Contact: Kimberly Gensicki, 860-224-5900, x6507
HCC Corporate Communications
(860) 224-5695 •
Fax (860) 224-5779