Family Enrichment Center
32 Hawkins St., New Britain
The Hospital of Central Connecticut's Family Enrichment Center helps families achieve parenting goals through a blend of programs that emphasize family support, bonding and nurturing. Programs are free for families in Greater New Britain.
Center staff are highly trained in child development, parenting, group work and community-based outreach. The Center, on the hospital's New Britain General campus, is spacious and offers homey, comfortable environments for the entire family, including a playroom equipped with interactive toys.
Family Enrichment Center programs
M.O.M.S. (Mothers offering Mothers Support) - A weekly support program for mothers 21 years old and under. Members discuss being a mother, learn about their children and explore parenting roles. Meetings include a meal and playgroup for children. Program leaders are women who were also young mothers.
Nurturing Families Network - This program for first-time pregnant or parenting families provides information, guidance and assistance through:
- Home visiting services help first-time parents learn how to care for their baby and adjust to the many demands of becoming a parent. In-home services focus on parent education, child development and child-reading readiness.
- Nurturing Connections provides support and information via phone for new parents. Also includes monthly social groups. Discussion topics include getting babies to sleep; relaxation for baby and moms; and activities to stimulate baby's learning.
- Parenting groups - Topics include parenting, relationships, development, nurturing and discipline.
Parents as Teachers Program - Provides support and education to increase parenting skills. Each service uses the nationally recognized Parents as Teachers curriculum.
- Home visits help strengthen knowledge of child development, provide support, and teach activities to promote learning and explore child discipline strategies.
- Healthy Baby, Healthy Family provides birthing preparation classes, lactation consultation and updates on immunization and health questions.
- DADS services vary from small-group conversations about parenting topics, to in-home support and one-on-one teaching.
- Play Today - monthly socials for families that include exploring reading and promoting creative play.
Family Enrichment Center services are supported by The Hospital of Central Connecticut; Children's Trust, a division of The Connecticut Department of Social Services; and Connecticut Department of Public Health.