New Britain General campus:
Welcome to The Hospital of Central Connecticut's Special Care Nursery, part of the Ferdinand Sauer, MD Family BirthPlace. We provide advanced care for babies who are born prematurely or full-term newborns requiring special care.
Our Special Care Nursery can care for up to 14 newborns and is staffed by a multidisciplinary Care Team
that includes board-certified neonatologists (pediatricians specializing in the care of premature and sick newborns); certified pediatric physician assistants; and neonatal nurses.
Additional Care Team members also provide and support care for you and your baby as needed.
Special Care Nursery guidelines
Parents are encouraged to visit the Special Care Nursery and may do so 24 hours a day. We suggest the following guidelines for you and loved ones who want to visit with you and your baby:
- To protect confidentiality, we can only give information about the baby to the baby's parents.
- To ensure babies get the rest they need, we ask that no more than two people at a time be at the baby's bedside, and one should be a parent.
- Newborns are particularly susceptible to infection. You can help us protect your baby:
Staff will show parents and visitors how to clean their hands to protect the baby from infection.
The nurse caring for your baby will advise you of any additional precautions.
Please do not allow anyone to visit who has a cold, cough, skin rash, diarrhea or has been exposed to contagious diseases such as chicken pox, strep throat or flu.
- Parking is available in the city-owned Quigley Garage, next to the New Britain General campus main lobby. Parking validation is available for parents of Special Care Nursery babies.
Special Care Nursery visiting hours
- Parents - anytime
- Parent with visitor (14 years or older) - noon-8 p.m.
- Siblings aged 2-13 years: By arrangement with neonatology staff
* In the Nursery, maximum is 3 visitors per baby (one designated caregiver with a hospital ID band may be accompanied by 2 additional visitors).