Critical Care in our Top 100 Critical Care Unit
A comprehensive program specifically designed to meet the unique educational and emotional needs of the new graduate in an intensive Critical Care setting. Critical Care Core Course and other classroom programs are provided by the Critical Care Clinical Nurse Specialist.
New Britain General campus
The Critical Care offers:
- A precepted, competency-based clinical orientation.
- State-of-the-art technology including wireless computerized documentation system.
- Competency-based orientation, including jet ventilation, intra-aortic balloon pump therapy, and hemodynamic monitoring.
- Award-winning unit design as designated by the American Society of Critical Care Nurses (AACN) and the Society for Critical Care Medicine (SCCM).
- Continuous evaluation of progress in formal and informal meetings with Preceptor, Clinical Nurse Specialist, Clinical Manager, Nursing Director and Clinical Educator.
- 24/7 coverage by physician Intensivists who are board certified in Critical Care Medicine.
- Multidisciplinary teaching rounds led by an Intensivist.
Experience an intensive program unlike any other. The program features clinical orientation with a certified Emergency Nurse Preceptor in the Emergency Department.
The Emergency Department offers:
- Specialized classes and conferences designed for the graduate nurse who is ready and able to acquire new knowledge.
- Progressive classes in respiratory, cardiac, pediatric, and trauma care.
- State-of-the-art Emergency Department that experiences nearly 100,000 patient visits per year.
- One of only 50 Emergency Departments in the U.S. to have a paperless documentation system. EmpowER provides the nurse with instant access to the most current patient information and greatly improves patient safety.
Family BirthPlace New Britain General campus
This program is designed to prepare the graduate nurse to function optimally in selected Labor and Delivery, Postpartum, Well Baby, and Level IIIa Special Care Nursery. Cross training to all areas of maternal-child nursing is available.
Highlights of the Family BirthPlace include:
- Fetal monitoring course.
- Scrub course for Caesarean sections.
- Newborn hearing screening.
- Newborn pain management program.
- Developmental care program.
- Breastfeeding education.
- Perinatal bereavement program.
- High risk antepartum course.
Operating Room New Britain General campus
A perioperative internship is available to nurses with one year of medical/surgical or other acute care experience. Our state-of-the-art operating rooms, located in our Tomasso Tower, offer surgical services in Urology, Infertility, Gynecology, General Surgery, Vascular, Thoracic, Orthopedics, Neurosurgery, and Bariatrics.
Highlights of the Operating Room include:
- The program prepares the registered nurse for a beginning level nursing position focusing on the intraoperative phase of the patient's experience.
- Course content includes classroom and clinical skill preparation while continuously applying the nursing process in the patient's plan of care.
- Perioperative graduate nurses have preceptors who support and reinforce the learning process.
- Topics covered within the perioperative program include:
- Sterilization and disinfection
- Principles of Asepsis
- RN scrub role
- RN circulator role
- Patient safety
- Wound management
- Implementing the perioperative plan of care
- Continuous evaluation of progress in formal and informal meetings with preceptor, clinical nurse specialist, and OR manager.
- Automated management of physician preferences, case specific inventories, and specialty supplies.